St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and we have a quick and easy craft to get you in the Shamrockin’ spirit!
These Shamrocks can be used as decorations for a St. Patrick’s Day themed party or just to brighten up any room. You can hang them using ribbon, attach them directly to any surface using some adhesive, make a key chain and much more! We are showing you how to make one size, but you can change the measurements below to make larger or smaller Shamrocks.
- Stiff Felt Sheets
- Rotary cutter or fabric scissors
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Ribbon (optional)
1. With your Stiff Felt Sheets, rotary blade and ruler, cut 4 strips measuring 1 inch wide by 12 inches long and 4 strips measuring 1 inch wide by 10 inches long. You should have a total of 8 strips. These strips will be the outside and inside of the Shamrock.
2. Take the 12-inch-long strips and fold them in half lengthwise to end up with 6-inch-long strips. Make sure to press down on the crease so that you will know where the middle is.
3. Stand the now 6-inch-long strips on their sides back-to-back, so that all the folded creased corners are facing each other in the center, like in our picture. Using the hot glue gun, glue the strips together approximately 2 inches from the corners, keeping the same shape. You can also add glue to the center if you do not want a gap showing.
4. Take the 10-inch-long strips and fold them in half lengthwise to end up with 5-inch-long strips. Make sure to press down on the crease so that you will know where the middle is. Using the hot glue gun, glue these 10-inch-long strips to the inside of each of the 12-inch-long strips. The corners of these 10-inch-long strips should line up with the corners of the 12-inch-long strips, and the hot glue should be about 2 inches from the corners.
5. Next, we will start transforming these strips into small hearts for the Shamrock shape. Start by forming a heart using the end of one of the 10-inch-long inner strips and glue it using the hot glue. Then glue the inner portion of the top of each heart to the corner. Repeat with the remaining 10-inch-long strips .
6. Repeat the previous step for the 12-inch-long strips. Instead of gluing the inner portion of the top of each heart to the corners, you will glue the inner portion of the top of each heart to the top of the smaller heart. And there you have it, your own Shamrock decoration!
Don’t be afraid to get creative! You can even use multiple shades of green or different colors to make your Shamrock stand out from the rest.